Here are some tips to keep healthy during flu season:
1. Wash your hands with soap and water. The best way to prevent the spread of any virus is to wash your hands frequently with soap and water, 20 seconds or more each time. Unfortunately, hand gels and foams do not work as well as vigorous hand washing. Remember to always wash your hands after using the restroom.
2. If you are ill with the flu or other gastrointestinal illnesses and need medical attention, you should seek care at U.Va. Department of Student Health.
Feeling Under the Weather?
3. If you live on Grounds and there are facilities that have become visibly contaminated, please contact your RA or the RA on-call and they will arrange for clean-up. If you live off Grounds, clean and disinfect all surfaces contaminated by vomit or diarrhea spillage.
4. If clothes or laundry are contaminated: Immediately remove and wash thoroughly any clothing or linens contaminated by an ill person. Wash your hands thoroughly after handling contaminated laundry. Wash laundry items with detergent on the longest cycle and machine dry them.
5. If you are not ill: Wash all fruits and vegetables and cook all seafood thoroughly. Avoid hand-sharing communal food (popcorn, chips, etc.)
U.Va. Dining has an excellent protocol and high standards for sanitation, including regular disinfecting of high touch student surfaces in our restaurants and dining rooms. During flu season, we have doubled the number of times per day we are disinfecting surfaces students are likely to touch.
U.Va. Dining wants you to get better soon! We are offering a to-go meal or a special Flu Relief Bundle (FRB) to you during your illness. All you have to do is provide your roommate, friend or flu buddy with your ID and a note that permits them to pick up a meal for you. They can either get a to-go container and fill it with your choice of dining room food, or pick up a FRB for you at O’Hill, Fresh Food Co. or Runk Dining Rooms.
The FRB contains the following:
(2) 4 oz juices
(2) packs of broth
(1) jello cup
(3) snack packs of Saltines