COVID-19 DiningHere you will find important information about our dining program for the upcoming school year.
For University updates, please visit returntogrounds.virginia.edu.
What are my options for dining at UVA this Spring?
- Dining Rooms (Fresh Food Co. (FFC), O’Hill, Runk) will be all-you-care-to-take.
- Restaurants and Cafes will have Meal Exchange or Flex Dollar options.
- Flex Dollars can be used at Food Trucks located throughout Grounds.
- Convenience Stores will be open throughout Grounds with assorted snacks, drinks, and grab n’ go items.
- UVA Dine at Home is available to pre order and pickup through GrubHub.
- Use a swipe for a ready-to-eat take home meal (not meal exchange).
- Locations include: The Forum @ O’Hill, PAV @ Newcomb, and The Green Room @ Runk.
- Good Uncle is a new delivery service available on Grounds. More information can be found here.
- Continued Delivery from Papa Johns and Ming Dynasty using your Flex Dollars.
How will dining services be different?
Due to COVID-19, the following model will be adopted for the spring semester, depending on guidelines from the State of Virginia, University of Virginia, and the CDC. Follow us on social media @uvadine for updates.
- Fresh Food Co., O’Hill, and Runk will have a reduced seating capacity.
- The option to take all meals in compostable or reusable to-go containers will be available in all dining rooms.
- Durable dishware is safe to use and will be available for dine in.
- Additional locations will be available on GrubHub for preorder and pickup.
- Some locations may have modified hours of operation or may be closed for the semester.
- More information can be found on our Hours of Operation page.
- Meal Exchange options will be subject to change throughout the semester.
How will my meal plan function?
All information on using a meal plan can be found on our Meal Plan 101 page.
I’m a first-year student. Do I have to have a dining plan this year?
First-year students living on-Grounds are required to have a meal plan. Even during these challenging times, it is still important for first-year students as they acclimate to college life to be able to meet and interact with other students outside of the classroom. Dining on Grounds provides that opportunity. In addition, the rooms in the first-year residence halls do not have sufficient cooking capabilities.
What types of foods will Dining be serving? Will there be vegetarian and vegan options?
We offer a variety of meal choices throughout the day, both hot and cold items, and will always offer vegetarian, vegan and Allergen-Solution (all "Big 8" allergens and gluten) options. You can view our Locations & Menus page for more information by specific location. You can view our Health & Wellness page for more information on special diets.
What safety measures should I expect upon entering a dining location?
As per university policy we ask that guests wear a mask until seated and ready to eat. We require social distance inside and outside of the dining rooms. Please have patience and plan on slightly longer wait times during busy meal periods. If a location is busy, we recommend leaving and returning during a slower time period or visiting one of our many other locations.
Some safety measures will include:
- Instructional Signage for social distancing
- Sanitizing Stations
- Designated waiting areas
- Plexiglass dividers between staff and students
- Modified one-way traffic flows
- Contactless payment
- Increased sanitation measures (CDC, Aramark, University of Virginia, and Virginia Department of Health guidelines)
What if the dining room is busy?
There are several options for dining when O’Hill and Runk are at capacity. Instead of crowding in the lobbies to enter the dining hall, we strongly suggest leaving and returning during a non-peak time (listed below) or trying one of our other dining locations. Consider walking to FFC for an all-you-care-to-eat dining experience, check out the cafe and restaurants that are open for pick up on Grubhub, or order a hot meal through Grubhub to pick up at The Forum @ O’Hill, PAV @ Newcomb, and The Green Room @ Runk.
O'Hill Dining Room
Peak time periods:
Breakfast: 8:45am-9:30am | 10:00am-10:30 am
Lunch: 12:00pm-12:45pm | 1:00pm-1:45pm | 2:00pm-2:30 pm
Slower time periods:
Runk Dining Room
Peak time periods:
Slower time periods:
How do I decide which plan will work best for me?
We have new plans this semester that allow for customization. You can always upgrade your plan or add more Flex Dollars at any time. We suggest looking at the weekly average number of meals you will need and find a plan that aligns with your needs. If you need additional help picking a plan, please contact our office and we would be happy to assist you in making a decision!
What if I have unused swipes and flex?
All Access: Unused Flex Dollars will roll over to the spring semester but must be used by the end of the Spring 2021 semester.
Block Plans: Unused swipes and Flex Dollars will roll over to the spring semester but must be used by the end of the Spring 2021 semester.
Unused meals from fall do not roll over to spring if a dining plan is reduced at any time. Unused Flex Dollars and unused meals are forfeited immediately upon dining plan cancellation.
If I get sick and must return home, will my dining plan fee be partially reimbursed?
Per university policy, if a student withdraws from the University and has a meal plan, they will receive a partial refund that takes into consideration the period of time that they have been at the University and an adjustment for fixed operating costs. View our Terms & Conditions page for more information.
What if I have more questions?
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us. We would be more than happy to help!
Quick Dining Checklist: